Functions and services of the Meteorological Department include:
- To create a network of weather and earthquake forecast stations.
- To detect and exchange information and warning against hazardous weather phenomena.
- To provide weather forecasts to institutions that are affected by weather conditions such as aviation companies, ports, public institutions, public services, environment protection agencies, and businesses.
- To coordinate and collaborate with public and business institutions whose activities are related to QCAA.
- To develop systems and equipment that ensure weather forecast services of an optimal quality.
- To prepare and publish monthly and yearly weather reports.
- To archive information on the climate in Qatar and the neighboring countries.